By Monica Silveira Cyrino
- The first systematic survey of an important and renowned fresh motion pictures approximately Roman antiquity.
- Shows how cinema explores, reinvents and celebrates the spectacle of historical Rome.
- Films mentioned intensive contain Stanley Kubrick’s Spartacus, Ridley Scott’s Gladiator and Terry Jones’s Monty Python’s lifetime of Brian.
- Contributes to discussions concerning the ongoing relevance of the classical world.
- Shows how modern film-makers use recreations of historic background as commentaries on modern society.
- Structured in a manner that makes it appropriate for path use, and lines matters for dialogue and research, and connection with additional bibliographic resources.
- Written in an brisk and interesting style.
Read Online or Download Big Screen Rome PDF
Best film & video art books
Diversifications have happened frequently because the starting of cinema, yet little acceptance has been given to avant-garde variations of literary or different texts. This compelling examine corrects such omissions by means of detailing the speculation and perform of different edition practices from significant avant-garde administrators.
This vintage of movie feedback, lengthy thought of priceless for its eloquent examine of a challenging interval in movie background, is now considerably up to date and revised by way of the writer to incorporate chapters past the Reagan period and into the twenty-first century. For the recent version, Robin wooden has written a considerable new preface that explores the fascinating double context during which the ebook may be read-that during which it used to be written and that during which we discover ourselves this day.
In 1895, Louis Lumière supposedly stated that cinema is "an invention with no destiny. " James Naremore makes use of this mythical comment as a place to begin for a meditation at the so-called loss of life of cinema within the electronic age, and as a manner of introducing a wide-ranging sequence of his essays on video clips prior and current.
Who must have received the Oscars? If you have ever puzzled why the Oscars appear to visit the incorrect videos, WHO received? !? is the ebook for you. starting with the 1st Oscar rite, Robert James appears to be like in any respect the main different types, slashing and burning his manner during the undesirable, praising the great, and supplying the simplest to your attention.
- The Cinema of Agnès Varda: Resistance and Eclecticism (Directors' Cuts)
- The Legacies of Jean-Luc Godard (Film and Media Studies)
- Stanley Kubrick: Essays on His Films and Legacy
- Guerrilla Film Scoring: Practical Advice from Hollywood Composers
- Avant-garde to New Wave: Czechoslovak Cinema, Surrealism and the Sixties
Extra resources for Big Screen Rome
- Hobbes und der Krieg der Staaten (German Edition) by Jasper Balthasar von Heyden
- Industrialization and Underdeveloped Countries by Alan B. Mountjoy